Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Who's Your Daddy?

Yesterday I was at Georgia State University registering voters. It was the first day of classes. I went up to a young Asian-American man and asked him if he was registered. "Yes. Are you a son of God?"

"Uh, no," I replied, probably with a bit of an attitude. "Been there, done that, but thanks anyway." I walked back to my table.

I couldn't stop thinking about his question. Was that an accident? So I walked up to his Campus Christians table and asked the young woman who was working, "A while ago one of the people working with you asked if I was a son of God. Was that a mistake?

"I don't think it was a mistake," she said very matter-of-factly.

"What?! I'm a woman!"

"Yes, but in the Bible it says son, not daughter," she said.

I could have gone off. I could have told her about interpretation, about context, about women's liberation. I could have told her that if there even was a God, that we were all his/her children. Instead, I said "OK, thanks" and walked away.

Did I make the wrong decision? Maybe. But really, someone who thinks like that-- I don't think I would have been able to change her mind in the two hours I had left on that campus.

For the rest of my life, I will wonder what happened to that woman, er, son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There isn't enough space in thos dialogue box to cover everything on this one. I wouldn't worry too much about this.