Friday, May 27, 2005

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

Last night, my dream came true. I played tambourine in a hootenanny jamboree. Not only that, but in the CasHank Hootenanny Jamboree at the bar on my corner. All was well and good until we got to the last song--my request--The Ring of Fire, when the guy running the show (we'll call him "Alex") called one of the female guitar players a "cunt" in front of the whole bar. In a show of solidarity for the insulted woman, my friends got up and left. Being a feminist, I might have done the same thing, but two things got in my way: 1. I was playing the freaking tambourine at the CasHank Hootenanny Jamboree, hello! and 2. The show must go on! So, I finished the Ring of Fire (secretly wondering if it had anything to do with the tiff). But, don't you worry. After the show I told "Alex" that "a real cowboy would never call a woman a cunt."

IMG_0954
Hey Mr(s). Tambourine (Wo)man!

IMG_0956
This is after the show, but you had to see the boots. It's a shame they weren't visible from the stage.

3 comments:

Ted said...

And what a tambourine show it was! Nice having you at the CasHank, despite the... unpleasantries.
-T

Anonymous said...

Only the lowest level gutter dweller refers to a woman in such terms -- especially another performer. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

it's one thing to use such a derogatory term -- bordering on hate speech really -- and express remorse for it. it's an entirely other thing to use it and think it was justified. believe it or not, the gutter-dweller cowboy never bothered to apologize. that's the mark of a real bottom-dweller.