Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Not a Good Morning

It's the price I pay for being the face of gentrification. Yes, I'm a white, middle-class 20-something. I moved into the outskirts of a Brooklyn neighborhood that is still mostly inhabited by minorities. Now condos are going up across the street.

They start their construction at 7 every morning. Now, being a person who does not work 9-5, I don't get up at 7. The only time I ever see 7 a.m. is if I'm still up from the night before.

So, I called 311, filed a noise complaint and the second woman I spoke to at 311 was very helpful and told me to call my community board with any other concerns. I told the community board I'd like to petition to get "Park Slope Views" to start their construction later (9 is a little early for me, but a reasonable request, I believe). The community board representative said they're happy for me to petition. I have to make it (and collect the signatures, as I expected). However, it's up to the "goodwill of the property owner" to start later.

In my limited experience with developers, any with goodwill are few and far between. Any ideas?

IMG_0951
Oh, look, they're all done by noon because they started at freaking 7 a.m.!

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Stick it to the man! I hate being woken up early as well and I don't blame you for being pissed. That is just obscene.