Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Another Bicyclist Killed

Just got word over the Brooklyn Critical Mass list that another cyclist was killed today. According to Jym Dyer over at Time's Up!, Brooklyn bicyclist Andrew Ross Morgan, 25, was killed by a truck in Manhattan on Houston near Elizabeth today. If I find out any more details, I'll post them here.

UPDATE: According to Jym, there was some press on the scene; so this might show up in/on the news soon.

We need a sticker campaign. Every cyclist in the city should have some "Watch Out, This Car Almost Killed a Cyclist" stickers to slap on the back of every car that almost doors us, cuts us off or parks in a bike lane. Until then, here's a little less offensive version (though I like my offensive version better).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck

Anonymous said...

could have been me, or you, or any of my friends.
cars dont feel it when they get hit, so kick the fucking shit out of them.

matthew said...

Thanks Emily for the link to my card!

It's been so crazy out there. I think it's important to fight for our place on the streets w/a few different methods. Critical Mass, Transportation Alternatives, and the Drivers Ed card. There's room for your stickers too!

I don't expect the card to change the way people drive. My main goal is to give cyclists relief from the endless arguments at traffic lights and in the bike lane. It's a waste of our energy.

My second goal is to improve the PR of riders. The streets suck so we seem like angry buggers. But were nice folks stuck in a crappy situation. That's what I want drivers and the press to realize.

Thanks again! Ride safely.

theCoup.org

eefers said...

Hi Matthew,

I like your attitude. It's so hard for me not to get angry when so many cyclists are being killed by oblivious motorists. But the card really is a good idea. I'm just pissed and want to put hard-to-get-off stickers on these cars.

Emily (a.k.a. eefers)

todd said...

I really don't know much about the bike community in Atlanta, but I'll probably become a part of it in a couple months when I get a bike and start biking to work and around the local area. I'm jealous of you Brooklynites with your bikes, but a little scared for you when someone is killed every couple of weeks.