Thursday, July 14, 2005

This is Where it Gets Personal

If you'll recall, almost two weeks ago, I was slightly horrified by a picture and pretty horrible profile of me in the dating section of the New York Post. I got over it and didn't think much more about it until my friend Ruth saw this post via Gawker:
Emily's profile is a little more troubling. The good parts: she's cute, likes ambitious guys, and is outgoing. The bad news: she's likely staunchly liberal and seems to be well-immersed in that scene. It comes up in three answers to various questions. So, she's poltically [sic] obsessed, and that could be divisive. A more pertinent concern: she seems to rule out guys who are super trendy, muscular, gadget-obsessed (or hyper-communicative), skinny, Republican, or slick-haired. Not that I defend any of those attributes, but she takes more time excluding people than describing what she really wants. I'm wary about her. Except for the knitting part.
The Post Poster (we'll call him Brian) and I started emailing after I posted on his blog in defense of my profile. He showed up at Park Slope Drinking Liberally last night and now I'll direct you to his blog for a detailed retelling of the events that transpired. Here's a little sample:
I got to know that, yes, indeed, she is a dedicated liberal and would not want to be in a situation where a conservative male would butt heads with her. She is also insistent on avoiding dates with certain types of men, which is where the "What's Not Sexy?" list came from. My take: for a general dating profile, this is fair enough. Her list of criteria will surely exclude certain people from her potential dating pool, but that's sort of the point. She knows what she likes and what she stands for - and she isn't afraid to be clear and open about it from the beginning. She's not pompous or dismissive, either - she is friendly and cordial with everyone regardless of whether they're "sexy" or not. I find all of that admirable.Complete Post
I agreed to do the Post dating thing because I knew it would make for a good story. And look, the story continues!

4 comments:

Tree Trunk Ho Slappa said...

I had NO idea that the man with the Cam was in fact another random blogger. That cracks me up!

eefers said...

Yes, it's a small, small blog-o-sphere. It's a small blog-o-sphere, afterall.

PiggyReese said...

I know I thought he worked for the POST!

Brian Van said...

and this continues yet further, because the Lectern was linked on Gawker again today (for the writeup from last night). This story gets even more interesting...