Friday, January 13, 2006

The Fall

Had my first fall on the new bike last night. It was pretty ridiculous, actually. I was headed down Broadway, approaching Union Square, when a girl on a track bike was jolting to a stop like a madwoman. Amazed by her stopping skills, I slowed down and came to a stop at the red light, as well. But I forgot my feet were still in the baskets (I usually remove them as I'm slowing down). I came to a complete stop and fell right over. Luckily, there was an SUV to break my fall, so I only hit my knee on the street. Some girl on a cell phone walked by and said "Oh my god! Are you OK?" I was fine. But I was wedged between my bike, the pavement and the SUV, with my feet still in the baskets. I managed to untangle myself and get back up, slightly embarrassed; no real damage done.

The wound is weak, and probably won't even scar. But there will be better falls, with better scars, oh yes there will.

7 comments:

Tree Trunk Ho Slappa said...

Is laughing permissible?

eefers said...

yes, yes it is.

PiggyReese said...

good cause I feel bad but I laughed too.

eefers said...

I laughed all the way home. Seriously. I only wish my knee had more blood to show for it.

PiggyReese said...

I am just sitting here invisioning you barking it on a SUV. It is just soo funny to me because I did the same thing, a SLOW motion not painful fall right off my track bike in front of a truck in upstate NY. The worst part of the whole this is everyone's reactions, cause they see it as hurting way more than it actually does.

Brian Van said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brian Van said...

Sorry to hear of your pain. Of course, that's the funniest bike-fall story by an adult I've ever heard. Most people usually get "doored" in some god-awful way, but you just plain fell over at a stoplight.

I'm also sorry to do this to you:
5 Habits