Friday, March 17, 2006

Pinch Me, I'm Irish

Guess who forgot to wear green today? (OK, I didn't really forget, but I didn't have anything green at Chris's. I'll change before I go out tonight). Ah, St. Patrick's Day...the only day we were allowed to inflict violence on our third grade classmates, and only if they weren't wearing green.

And, um, cheers to City Council Speaker Christine Quinn who decided to boycott the St. Patrick's Day Parade because they still won't allow organized LGBT groups to march. Worse, they wouldn't even allow her to wear a gay pride pin or sash. I think we need to pinch John Dunleavy, the parade organizer, who gave this utterly senseless quote to the Irish Times:
"If an Israeli group wants to march in New York, do you allow Neo-Nazis into their parade? If African-Americans are marching in Harlem, do they have to let the Ku Klux Klan into their parade? People have rights. If we let [Irish gay activists] in, is it the Irish Prostitute Association next?"
Seriously, what does that even mean?

Everyone should drink a green beer in honor of Chris Quinn tonight. And don't pinch anyone too hard...unless it's Dunleavy.

No comments: