Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Coffee Cart Man: To Dump or Not to Dump?

Since proclaiming that my coffee cart man was completely incompetent I've learned quite a bit about him and have been proven completely wrong. He was new. His name is Mohammed. He's from Jordan where he was a physician and is running a coffee cart to support his getting certified as a GP here in the States. He has my coffee ready (and right!) before I even make it to his cart and if I realize I don't have cash on any given morning, he tells me not to worry about it and to pay him the next day. He has also professed his love for me. Awkward? Yes. Sweet? Sure. But we've formed a bond. He's Coffee Cart Man and I'm his trusted, loyal patron.

However, on my way home last Thursday I stopped into what I thought was a new coffee shop on 4th Avenue, Mule. I, of course, loved the coffee and thought it was even better than Gorilla Coffee (which is a little too strong for my taste). Friday, Monday and today, I've gone to Mule for my coffee instead of Coffee Cart Man on my way to the subway. Sure, I have to cross the street and the coffee is $.50 more expensive, but it's so much better (and bigger).

I feel as if I have to go back to Coffee Cart Man tomorrow morning. I could tell him I was off for a few days, though I fear he's seen me on the other side of the street. Should I break up with him? Or is it safe to keep avoiding him? I don't want to be that asshole who's been seeing someone else but is too chicken to tell him. But on the other hand, I don't want to tell him that I've found better coffee. What to do?! What to do?!

Maybe you can help. Below, the blue line represents my old route to Coffee Cart Man. The red line represents my new route. With Coffee Cart Man facing south to serve coffee, do we think he'll notice me with my new iced coffee or is it time to come clean?
coffeeroute

18 comments:

PiggyReese said...

Mom dumped her coffee cart man, and really now has to cross the street each time she passes in the morning. She dupmed him after he had her coffee ready for her every day, and would let her order and pay the next day if she forgot her money.
He was a great coffee man.
But,
She dumped him for dunkin donuts one block further that she just found. Yes, it's true.

Gigi said...

I had the same exact problem and he will definitely notice. I would be lying if I told you otherwise.

Betty said...

Been over this so many times myself. It's a hard decision, I say go for the good coffee. THough I doubt its better than gorrilla, that is hands down some of the best coffee I have ever had.

Sally Tomato said...

I can't even show up to my coffee cart guy 10 minutes late without him noticing, so if your dude is anything like mine, I would suggest you give him fair warning.

Anonymous said...

I always wonder where those cart guys dispose of their personal waste.

copyranter said...

He will be crushed like a coffee cup.

Harlot.

l'oiseau said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joel said...

I've thought of trying to bypass my coffeecart man, as I rarely drink all the coffee-my second cup of the morn. It would add a few minutes to the walk, and I'd have to go by the jesus freaks. It's tough, when I miss a day the guy asks me where I was, when I go on vacation he always says he was worried that something happened to me.

The final clincher convincing me that I couldn't ditch him(besides always having my coffee ready when I come into the vincinity, charging me a quarter less than everyone) was when he refused to serve this stuck up, snotty looking girl a couple of weeks ago who wouldn't exchange any pleasantries with him. It was awesome.

Chelly said...

I had the same dilemma not so long ago. I met a new coffee man who actually served hot breakfast as opposed to the cold doughy bagels or crusty buttered rolls. And this isn't no ordinary ham-egg-cheese concoction, but daily "specials" in which he'd mix in spinach, or mushroom.
The old coffee man is right up the block and across the street, sorta like your map. Everytime I walk by he has a line, so he can't really pay attention on who is walking by behind him.

Anonymous said...

I say, go to the new place, careful to hold your cup in your right hand down at your side, and on to the new station. OR! Tell him you will no longer be able to buy coffee in the mornings, as times are tough! Sound pathetic, but not so pathetic that he offers free coffee forever. Then start going to Mule and commence carefully holding your cup on your right side and begin walking to the new station.

SidHudgens said...

Whatever you do, don't tell him the other coffee guy is "BIGGER." Ouch.

Bryan Hooper said...

I remember when you had real problems.

If you have to dump someone, the coffee cart guy is a good bet.

But if you are just in need of a little drama, hey, don't take it out on the coffee cart go. Just go to church!

Deirdre said...

I cheat on my coffee guy about twice a week, because his bagels suck, so sometimes when I am hungry I have to sneak across the street to the deli. You know what? It never gets any easier. I couldn't imagine living like that every day. All the lies, the sneaking around, the crossing the street 2 blocks in advance, just to be sure. It's too much. Stand by your man! Get your yuppie coffee every once in a while as a treat and don't ever let him find out. They don't love you like he loves you.

Anonymous said...

You're so cute. ;D

Anonymous said...

I changed my route entirely when I dumped my coffee cart guy (who always had my coffee ready and sometimes threw in a free butter roll) for Joe. I couldn't walk past him. Not even across the street behind him. I think you should go AROUND the block and approach the subway from the other side so you don't walk past him at all.

Jake said...

I've been facing the same dilemma with my fruit stand guy (who, funny enough, is right across Pacific St. from your coffee guy). I found a new fruit guy at my subway exit and have succumbed to the convenience of not having to carry my bananas and orange all the way through my morning commute. Yet, sometimes I still buy a banana or two from my x-fruit-stand-man just to prove that there are no hard feelings. You know, it's like the obligatory call to the X two times a year.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I thought I was the only one with this problem. My coffee guy is a bit flirty and gives me tons of free pastries and fruits. While it doesn't make me uncomfortable, it makes me feel bad if I skip a morning. I decided to tell him that I like to meet friends for coffee a couple times a week and that I'm not just dissing him. I feel better all around. Plus, it gives me some much needed space from him.

Abhishek said...

cmmon! u can have more than one cup of coffee in a day.